About this course
What is Realising Aspirations?
The Realising Aspirations course aims to better prepare young people working at Entry level for good life outcomes.
Realising Aspirations has been developed around the four preparing for adulthood pathways, each pathway comprises three modules:
- friends, relationships and community
- good health
- independent living
The module outcomes are based on what needs to be in place for a young person to plan for the future and make a successful transition to new opportunities at college, in the community, on training programmes, employment or in supported living.
Realising Aspirations aims to promote inclusion, extend and develop learning opportunities beyond school or college, and provide good plans for the support required to make this a reality.
The film below explains how the programme has been designed to help young people with SEND develop a breadth of outcomes required to live independently and achieve good life outcomes.
Who is Realising Aspirations for?
Realising Aspirations has been developed to meet the needs of learners aged 14+ with SLD (severe learning difficulties), MLD (moderate learning difficulties), LDD (learning difficulties and disabilities).
Learner registration and certification
Centres will need to purchase a Realising Aspirations learner registration for each learner.
A learner registration includes a hard copy or electronic copy of three learner records (additional learner records can be purchased online as and when required).
A progress tracker is provided in each learner record and an online learner progress tracker is available for centres to enter which modules and pathways a learner has completed to demonstrate progress and reward small steps of achievement.
- 17 certificates available in total (one for completion of each of the twelve modules, one for completion of each of the four pathways and one for completion of the full course).
- An ASDAN printed, embossed certificate can be requested to mark the completion of a full course. The four pathway certificates can be downloaded from the ASDAN website.
A learner record is available to support each of the twelve modules. These resources include the module content, as well as the recording templates for each module. They are designed to form part of the learner’s portfolio of evidence.
The learner records and module templates can be completed by learners, or by the teacher/tutor on behalf of the learner, using words, symbols or pictures.
A comprehensive tutor guidance and resources pack has been created to support Realising Aspirations. This pack is essential for centres delivering this course as it contains many of the required resources ie pathway profiles, module completion log and module review.
An electronic copy of the pack will be made available once a centre has purchased a hard copy.
This pack is a one-time purchase that will be continually reviewed and updated and these updates will be provided as part of your ASDAN membership.
Centres can combine modules from Realising Aspirations and Supporting Aspirations to meet individual needs
Person-centred planning toolkit
The person-centred planning toolkitcan be used across all four My Independence programmes, it contains person-centred planning tools that can be used to support the development of Education, Health and Care Plans and SEND Support Plans.
Training is available for new and existing members to help staff introduce My Independence into your centre and, where appropriate, support the transition across from the ASDAN Preparing for Adulthood programmes to the new My Independence suite of courses
The person-centred planning tools are a key component of all ASDAN’s My Independence courses. These will be provided to centres who attend training, as part of the My Independence tutor guidance and person-centred planning toolkit.
Additional guidance and mapping will be provided during training for centres in Wales and Scotland.
My Independence will be supported by free to attend, annual professional development meetings (face to face and online).
These meetings will provide opportunities for ongoing development and training for centres, showcasing best practice, networking, collaboration and feedback on learner portfolios.
New to ASDAN?
Your first step is to become a member of ASDAN. Read more about our membership tiers and the benefits of being a member.
Already a member?
If you are on our Programmes Plus membership, you can get started by purchasing materials below. We highly recommend that someone from your centre attends one of our introductory training workshops or we also provide in-house training sessions.
You can upgrade your membership at any time under account settings.
ASDAN members' area
You can manage your courses, learners, orders and account settings in the members’ area. This also contains all the essential documents, forms and updates that you will need to deliver your course.
1. Staff training
• The members of staff with overall responsibility for delivery must attend an ASDAN introductory workshop, webinar or INSET. Book at: asdan.org.uk/training
• Training to deliver My Independence courses is not a mandatory requirement, however it is highly recommended to ensure that the centre and learners obtain the maximum benefit from the programme.
2. Register with ASDAN
• You will need ASDAN Programmes Plus membership to deliver My Independence courses. Membership allows centres to purchase materials and access support, including regular mailings and updates.
• Become a member at: asdan.org.uk/membership or manage your existing membership at: asdan.org.uk/membership-details
3. Create a new cohort
• Create a new cohort using the ASDAN website: asdan.org.uk/member/cohorts
• Specify a course co-ordinator, the expected completion date and the number of learners taking the course. Select student books for your learners.
4. Purchase supporting resources
• Buy optional supporting resources, including tutor guidance and resource packs. Available products are listed on this page.
• Digital versions of resources are available from ASDAN, including plain text (Word) versions of learner records.
5. Delivery and progress tracker
• Deliver the course to your learners. Resources can be downloaded from the course resources section on this page.
• Use the progress tracker to keep a record of which modules and pathways learners have completed via the cohort page: asdan.org.uk/member/cohorts
6. Internal moderation
• Internally moderate all portfolios to ensure that learners have met the full requirements of the course. Ensure learners are given time to make any necessary amendments. Internal moderation checklists are provided to support this process.
7. Certification and quality assurance
• Download module and pathway certificates using the progress tracker via the cohort page: asdan.org.uk/member/cohorts
• Quality assurance takes place at annual CPD meetings, where ASDAN will check samples of completed work.
• Request printed course certificates using the progress tracker via the cohort page: asdan.org.uk/member/cohorts
• Certificates will be delivered to your centre within 20 working days.
• Centres cannot request printed course certificates until they have attended a CPD meeting.
|Realising Aspirations: learner registration (price per learner, includes three learner records for one pathway, and certification)
|Realising Aspirations: tutor guidance and resources (full)
|Realising Aspirations: tutor guidance and resources (per pathway)
|Realising Aspirations learner record: all modules (tutor copy)
|Realising Aspirations: additional modules
|Realising Aspirations learner record: per pathway (tutor copy)
|Realising Aspirations: additional modules, pathway of three modules
|My Independence learner evidence binder (with tabbed pathway dividers)
|My Independence pathway stickers (pack of 120 stickers)
These learner records can be purchased in the products section below.
Realising Aspirations learner record: all modules (tutor copy)Buy here
Realising Aspirations learner record: Employment pathway (tutor copy)Buy here
Realising Aspirations learner record: Friends, relationships and community pathway (tutor copy)Buy here
Realising Aspirations learner record: Good health pathway (tutor copy)Buy here
Realising Aspirations learner record: Independent living pathway (tutor copy)Buy here
Realising Aspirations tutor guidance and resources: EmploymentBuy here
Realising Aspirations tutor guidance and resources: Friends, relationships and communityBuy here
Realising Aspirations tutor guidance and resources: fullBuy here
Realising Aspirations tutor guidance and resources: Good healthBuy here
Realising Aspirations tutor guidance and resources: Independent livingBuy here