About this course
What is Lifeskills Challenge?
Lifeskills Challenge – www.lifeskillschallenge.org.uk – is an online bank of challenges for learners working from pre-Entry to Level 3. This programme enables centres to meet individual needs by providing a personalised curriculum for young people with SEND or those facing barriers to learning.
Challenges have been mapped to the four Preparing for Adulthood pathways and cover subject areas such as English, mathematics and PSHE.
Who is it for?
Learners that require a personalised approach to learning, including those with an education, health and care plan (EHCP) or accessing SEND support.
Lifeskills Challenge can be delivered in:
- special schools
- mainstream schools (SEND units, specialist resourced provision)
- alternative provision
- specialist colleges
- FE colleges
- training providers
- local authorities
Facts and figures
- Challenges take 10, 20 or 30 notional learning hours to complete
- Challenges are internally moderated
- Unlimited number of challenges per learner registration
- Challenges are mapped to the four Preparing for Adulthood pathways, covering 12 subject areas and eight vocational areas
- Opportunity to write your own challenges
The challenges recognise learners’ progress in curriculum areas that are important for success in adult life – they are usually about being able to do things, rather than about a significant body of knowledge. Tutors can choose from existing challenges created by ASDAN practitioners or write and submit their own for approval by ASDAN.
Learners work through their chosen challenges and collect evidence of their achievements; learner evidence can be printed or kept electronically. Centres can reward learners’ achievements by claiming ASDAN certification for successfully completed challenges. Centres also have the option of downloading a statement of achievement to reward small steps of progress.
Initial quality check
Centres are required to undertake an initial quality check with ASDAN prior to requesting certification for the first time.
Each learner will require a Lifeskills Challenge learner registration. This registration lasts for 12 months, during which time the learner can complete as many challenges as required. The registration includes one certification opportunity at the end of the registration period, along with the option to download statements of achievement along the way.
Centres can also choose to extend learner registrations, which allows for a subsequent year of registration. This will mean that all challenges roll over to the subsequent year and certification is deferred until the end of the registration period. Learner registrations can be extended for as many years as required.
• The members of staff with overall responsibility for delivery should attend an
ASDAN introductory workshop, webinar or INSET. Book at: asdan.org.uk/training
• Training to deliver Lifeskills Challenge is not a mandatory requirement, however it is highly recommended to ensure that the centre and learners obtain the maximum benefit from the programme.
Register with ASDAN
• You will need ASDAN Programmes membership to deliver Lifeskills Challenge. Membership allows centres to purchase materials and access support, including regular mailings and updates.
• Become a member at: asdan.org.uk/membership or manage your existing membership at: asdan.org.uk/membership-details
• Purchase learner registrations and enter learner details using the Lifeskills Challenge
• Learner registrations are valid for 12 months, during which time any number of challenges can be completed. Learner registrations can be extended for as many years as required. Extensions can be purchased using the Lifeskills Challenge website.
Initial quality check
• An initial quality check must be completed in order for centres to download the summary of progress and claim printed certificates. This is carried out by the ASDAN regional manager.
Delivery and completion
• Deliver the course to your learners.
• Browse challenges and download recording templates from the Lifeskills Challenge website: lifeskillschallenge.org.uk
• Assign challenges to learners to show which challenges have been completed: lifeskillschallenge.org.uk/learners. A summary of progress can be downloaded at any point to show which challenges a learner has completed.
• Internally moderate all portfolios to ensure that learners have met the full requirements of the course. Ensure learners are given time to make any necessary amendments. Internal moderation checklists are provided to support this process.
• Each learner registration includes access to one certification opportunity.
• Upon completion of all challenges, request printed course certificates using the Lifeskills Challenge website: lifeskillschallenge.org.uk/learners
• Certificates will be delivered to your centre within 20 working days.
• Centres cannot request printed course certificates until they have had an initial quality check.
All candidate registration costs shown below are per learner, unless otherwise stated.
|Lifeskills Challenge one-year learner registration (one per learner, includes certification)
|Lifeskills Challenge one-year learner registration extension