Through Accelerating Progress programmes, students complete engaging challenges, collect evidence of their work and identify skills development.
The course supports development of the key skills that hold learners back from gaining a grade 4 or 5. They were selected following teacher feedback, exam script analysis and reviewing the outcomes from a range of students in Years 10 and 11. These skills are:
- understanding the purpose of a text
- understanding the audience a text is written for
- explaining the effects of language and structure
- understanding writers’ choices, such as point of view
- being able to retrieve information
The course will challenge students to develop higher-order reading and critical thinking skills. This will support learners in formulating and expressing their own opinions – one of the key requirements of the new GCSE.
The personalised learning aspect (the way in which the learner has choice over challenges) boosts engagement, motivation and enthusiasm. Experience shows that students who have choice in the classroom are more likely to take ownership of their learning.
Learners can access the course in two ways:
- Learner workbook: Learners can complete challenges in the learner workbook and gather additional evidence in their portfolio. The workbooks include space for tutors to log feedback, with record of progress page to demonstrate students’ progress throughout the course. Download sample pages from the Accelerating Progress English learner workbook.
- E-portfolio: Each learner will receive a login for the e-portfolio, where they will be able to view challenges, upload evidence and access resources. The e-portfolio shows learners’ recent activity and which challenge they need to move on to next.
Electronic copies of a wide range of learner resources such as worksheets and templates are provided when you purchase a copy of the tutor support manual, along with challenge walk-throughs offering a step-by-step guide to each challenge.
Tutor support manual
A tutor support manual is available for the Accelerating Progress English course. These resources have been designed to support experienced practitioners as well as non-specialists in delivering the courses.
The manual includes detailed tutor notes for each challenge and information on subject-specific skills development. Print copies of the manuals include an electronic version, which contains learner resources.
For centres new to ASDAN, your first step is to complete the Centre Registration Form. Current ASDAN centres need to ensure that Accelerating Progress is added to their centre's registration.
Following registration, you will be able to purchase resources and e-portfolio logins via the members area of this website.
ASDAN members area
Once your centre is registered with ASDAN for Accelerating Progress, you can find further information and resources in the members area. This section of the website contains all the essential documents, forms and updates that you need to deliver your course.
There is no limit to the number of people from a centre who can register to use the members area. You can create a new user account using the online form.
Once students' work has been internally moderated, centres can request certificates for successful candidates from ASDAN.
There is no external moderation for this programme, although ASDAN reserves the right to request samples of candidates' work for quality assurance purposes.
All prices shown below are per learner, unless otherwise stated.
|Accelerating Progress tutor support manual (per course)
|Accelerating Progress learner workbook (per learner, per course)
|1-29 learner registrations
|30-49 learner registrations
|50+ learner registrations
|Accelerating Progress PDF certificate
|Accelerating Progress printed and foiled certificate (optional, per learner, per course)
All prices valid from 1 September 2020 until 31 August 2021. Prices are shown exclusive of VAT.